We are looking for three AmeriCorps VISTA members to join our team!
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA members serve full time (~40 hours/week) for one full year at a community organization (nonprofit, college/university, local government office, etc.) on anti-poverty projects. AmeriCorps VISTA members work on projects that build the capacity of their organization. Projects can vary and are not limited to: developing outreach and marketing campaigns, building a social media presence, creating a program database, writing grants, managing a program in its first year, and recruiting volunteers.
What are the benefits? AmeriCorps VISTA members will receive a biweekly living allowance, and members who successfully complete a year of service can opt to receive an education award ($5,815) that can be used toward qualified school loans and specific educational expenses or an end-of-service cash stipend ($1,500). Also, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive one year of Federal Non-Competitive hiring eligibility, which provides advantages in the federal hiring process.
What are the requirements?
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit).
- Pass a national service criminal history check.
- Hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens and persons residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status, or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status.
What are the opportunities at Farm Fresh RI?
Food Literacy VISTA. Join our Nutrition Education team in working to strengthen statewide Farm to School education programs, develop food justice curriculum, and increase food literacy among Rhode Islanders. This position will execute activities to support the following goals:
- Distribute, collect, and analyze survey data from RI school districts to better understand where each district is in its development of Farm to School programming.
- Research and design food justice programs for high school student populations.
- Develop presentations on the benefits of farm to school for different audiences (students, faculty & staff, parents, administration, school nutrition, farmers & community).
Growing and Garden VISTA. Serve with Farm Fresh RI to develop interactive garden-education programs. This position will execute activities to support the following goals:
- Research and design youth garden programs from preschool- to high-school-aged students.
- Pilot garden programs and integrate Farm Fresh RI performance measurement standards into education program activities.
- Develop and implement surveys and interview questions to better understand where each district is in its development of a Farm to School program.
Volunteer Coordinator VISTA. Help Farm Fresh RI develop and implement a new community engagement strategy through the use of a volunteer coordination plan. This plan will include the recruitment, training, management, thanking, and retention of the community volunteers that help Farm Fresh RI achieve our mission. This position will execute activities to support the following goals:
- Analyze and expand on Farm Fresh RI’s current volunteer coordination techniques, research best practices, continue to develop a volunteer management plan, and help staff implement this plan.
- Work with and across all Farm Fresh RI programs, assess each program’s volunteer needs and capacity, and recruit and connect interested volunteers with our programs.
- Continue to develop and improve on educational and training materials for volunteers.
How do I apply?
If interested in the Growing and Garden position or the Food Literacy position, please send a cover letter and resume to Mikayla Anthes by April 26. These positions will begin June 22, 2018.
If interested in the Volunteer Coordinator position, please send a cover letter and resume to Sarah Bernstein by May 25. This position will begin August 2, 2018.
|We’re so grateful for the AmeriCorps VISTA members who serve with us. They’re an integral part of our work and our team here at Farm Fresh Rhode Island.
We are excited to welcome three new VISTA members to our team and hope you will be one of them!