Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s work environment is fast paced and collaborative. We value creative thinking, approach our work with energetic spirit, and strive to have fun together while we’re at it!
This position is a part-time hourly position. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is seeking a committed and reliable team player to join our Harvest Kitchen team. Harvest Kitchen is part of Farm Fresh Rhode Island's initiative to increase the variety of value-added local farm products available, and part of the Farm Fresh RI mission to create a community-based food system. Harvest Kitchen covers multiple facets of programming, including:
- A 20-week culinary and job-readiness training program for youth involved with the Department of Children, Youth, and Families
- A sister production and training program that operates within the Rhode Island Training school. All products created by Harvest Kitchen use ingredients sourced from local farms. The program focuses on empowering youth to understand how their activities connect to the local food system and the local food movement at large, while gaining necessary skills and experiences to be able to pursue their personal and professional goals.
- A local-foods café, offering delicious, nutritious, and reasonably priced foods in a neighborhood without many healthy options to choose from. The café also serves as an on-site retail training space where youth in our culinary training program can experience how it is to be working in the "front of house" while still in a structured learning environment.
The cashier position will be focused in the Harvest Kitchen café at 2 Bayley Street in downtown Pawtucket, which is open to the public 7:00am-3:00pm Monday through Friday. The cashier position will require shifts as early as 6:30am, as well as customer service skills, attention to detail, and cleanliness.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain a clean and well-stocked cashier station, dining space, and bathroom area.
- Maintain a working knowledge of menu offerings and ingredients with awareness of Harvest Kitchen allergen policy.
- Understand the relationship of Harvest Kitchen's menu and products as it relates to the local food system and local farmers.
- Ensure customer satisfaction with service and food quality. Harvest Kitchen’s customer service principles emphasize excellent customer experiences.
- Cash handling and financial transactions; ensuring every sale is correctly charged and closed.
- Complete all daily scheduled shift duties and sidework.
- Communicate with kitchen management staff during scheduled shift through oral communication or short written correspondence/memos.
- Ensure safe food handling procedures for food sampling according to the RI Department of Health.
- Model positive and professional workplace behavior for coworkers, customers, and youth in training.
- Ability to solve customer issues and concerns immediately and efficiently
- Punctuality and ability to maintain a good attendance record
- Attention to personal hygiene and uniform standards
- Maintaining professionalism at all times while on premises or when representing Harvest Kitchen off site
- Ability to perform and manage POS (point of sale) operations and financial transactions
- Ability to stand for up to four hours
- Food Safety Manager Certification (preferred, not required)
- Customer Service and/or Food Service experience
- Please send resume and cover letter to Harvest Kitchen Program Director, Jen Stott, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or drop off your resume and cover letter at Harvest Kitchen, 2 Bayley Street, Pawtucket, RI.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island Foundational & Organizational Outcomes
As an organization, we feel it is important that all employees in all programs of Farm Fresh Rhode Island are expected to uphold the following outcomes in addition to their specific job responsibilities:
- Diversity, Inclusion, & Respect: All staff and volunteers are committed to equality in the workplace, demonstrate respect for each other and those we serve, and work to create a more equitable food system.
- Food Safety: Certifications are maintained and standard operating procedures are followed to ensure safe food handling at all times.
- Health & Safety: Staff, volunteers, and visitors are safe in our office, café, and at all program sites. Staff and volunteers feel safe and supported in the workplace.
- Food Systems Knowledge: All workers can speak about local, sustainable, and equitable food system development and understand how Farm Fresh RI programs address different aspects of these topics.
- Service Orientation: Staff and volunteers are helpful and respectful in all interactions with each other and with all constituents of all Farm Fresh RI programs.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider