On two acres of farmland in Cranston, Teo and Margarita’s forests of kale and collard greens thrive alongside patches of sweet and hot peppers, bees swirl around their nearby hives, and … Read More →
Make a difference in your community by picking fresh fruits and vegetables for your neighbors in need. Gleaning volunteers register, sign waivers, and are then notified of upcoming gleaning trips to sign up. Subscribe to our newsletter for project updates and to learn how you can bring more fruits and veggies to your friends and neighbors in need.
Agreements & Waivers
By registering as a volunteer with Hope’s Harvest RI and attending events that we sponsor, you are agreeing to the following terms of participation:
Hope’s Harvest agrees to provide the following services and support to volunteers:
- Effective leadership of all volunteer events, including on-site briefings, orientation, and trainings before gleans.
- The necessary equipment and supplies to complete the assigned gleaning activities.
- An engaging, educational, and interesting experience that produces a tangible benefit for project beneficiaries.
- An inclusive environment that celebrates a diversity of socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, abilities, orientations, opinions, and interests. All are welcome.
Volunteers must understand and agree to abide by the following expectations and guidelines:
- I will abide by the Good Samaritan Law, and will not hold farmers, volunteers, Hope’s Harvest RI, Farm Fresh RI, or any sponsoring organization responsible for any accident, injury, or other loss incurred while participating in the program.
- I will read and sign the Assumption of Risk & Release of Liability Form when I sign up for Gleaning Trips and prior to participating in any volunteer activities.
- I understand that Gleaning Trips are conducted on private property that the owner has granted permission to enter and glean. Farms are under no obligation to donate food to gleaners/volunteers. Picking food at a particular farm is a privilege and not a right.
- I will treat host farms, their land, equipment, crops, workers, and fields with respect and care.
- I will work to the best of my ability to follow all guidelines set out for me regarding the host farm, its produce, land, and equipment.
- I will make sure gleaning areas are clear of any trash and all supplies are loaded into the gleaning coordinator’s vehicle.
- I will park only in the areas designated by Hope’s Harvest RI’s staff.
- I will follow the rule of “Pack it in, pack it out” at all gleaning sites. I will remove trash and my personal items from the field.
- I will not smoke at Gleaning Trips. NO TOBACCO PRODUCTS are allowed on any farm. Even unlit cigarettes or hands that have recently touched tobacco can pose a threat to plants in the form of a highly contagious mosaic virus (i.e. please wash your hands before gleaning if you smoke!).
- I will keep a respectful distance from all operating and still farm equipment.
- I will not approach, pet, or feed any animals on our host farms’ land.
- I will follow all directions given to me by Hope’s Harvest RI staff.
- I will handle produce gently. Our goal is to harvest food with care and respect for the farmer, for the land, for the food, for the people who will eat the food, and for the volunteers who are donating their time.
- I will arrive five minutes early and wait at the designated meeting/parking area until the gleaning coordinator arrives with instructions.
- I will not bring other individuals to Gleaning Trips who have not signed up and been added to the roster unless approved by a Hope’s Harvest RI staff member.
- I will promptly cancel my roster spot if, after signing up for a Gleaning Trip, I find that I am unable to attend.
- I will be punctual in arriving at Gleaning Trips and communicate directly with Hope’s Harvest RI staff if I will be late.
- I will sign in at the beginning of each event and sign out at its conclusion.
- I will wait to enter any farm fields until I have received instruction regarding a specific glean.
- I will glean only the crops assigned to me and only occupy the area designated for gleaning.
- If I arrive late I will enter the farm fields cautiously to ensure my safety, being aware of my surroundings, and follow all traveled pathways to maintain distance from farm crops.
- If children under the age of 14 are allowed at a particular trip, they must be kept under direct supervision of their parent, guardian, or designated caretaker at all times.
- I will not pick any produce for my personal usage without prior authorization from Hope’s Harvest RI staff.
Gleaners’ Health and Safety
- To ensure my own personal safety and the safety of others, I will communicate to Hope’s Harvest RI staff any personal medical conditions (recent surgeries, injuries, sicknesses, etc.) that may compromise or affect my ability to safely engage in a Gleaning Trip.
- I will check the weather the night before and dress appropriately for all events. Close toed shoes, clean clothing, and minimal jewelry are required for all events.
- I will immediately notify the gleaning supervisor and other gleaners of risks in the field.
- I will work at a pace that is comfortable for me, I will not lift anything heavier than is comfortable for me, and I will take frequent water and stretching breaks as needed.
- I will use sunscreen when working outside as needed. Hope’s Harvest staff will have sunscreen and bug spray available if you forget your own.
- Hope’s Harvest staff has a first aid kit. If you are hurt while volunteering, please notify them immediately!
Respect and Consideration
- I will be courteous and show respect to all field leaders, gleaners, farmers, and donation recipients.
- I will be an active listener and learner. I will offer others assistance in the field when I can and ask for help or clarification if I need it.
- I will not purposefully damage the tools/equipment belonging to Hope’s Harvest RI and/or partner farms and will return any tools/equipment that may have been provided to me.
- I will not arrive under the influence of, bring, or consume alcohol and/or drugs on Gleaning Trips.
- I will not bring firearms to Gleaning Trips.
- I will not bring animals to Gleaning Trips.
- Volunteers are acting as representatives of Hope’s Harvest RI but may not act as official spokespeople without prior notification.
Food Safety and Handling
- I will comply with all Hope’s Harvest RI food safety policies and procedures and adhere to the instructions provided by Hope’s Harvest RI staff to ensure product integrity.
- Volunteers will receive information on food safety best practices upon signing up for a trip and a short on-farm food safety training at the trip itself.
I have read, understand and agree to abide by this agreement. My failure to follow the above guidelines may result in the termination of my involvement with all Hope’s Harvest RI activities. I understand that Hope’s Harvest RI reserves the right to deny me entry to a Gleaning Trip, or require me to leave a Gleaning Trip, or remove me from the registration list if I do not follow these Terms of Participation. I understand that these Terms of Participation are subject to change without notice.
Your registration will add you to our newsletter list so you can receive updates about available trips and gleaning opportunities. You may ‘unsubscribe’ from these emails at any time at the bottom of the newsletter by clicking “unsubscribe from this list.”
Developed June, 2018. Updated December, 2020.
In an effort to provide a safe working environment for volunteers, staff, and partners, Hope’s Harvest RI continues to take precautions during the COVID-19 pandemic. Social distancing requirements and other disease prevention protocols, as provided by the RI Department of Health Safe Activities Regulations, are to be followed throughout all gleaning trips this season and are subject to change at any time. We will be closely monitoring the CDC’s local geographic COVID-19 Community Level. We strongly encourage volunteers to monitor their own community levels and follow these guidelines as suggested. Additionally, gleaning trips may be offered/canceled on short notice due to public health updates or COVID-19 exposure. By signing up to attend a gleaning trip as a volunteer with Hope’s Harvest RI, you agree to comply with the following protocols.
- Prior to volunteering with Hope’s Harvest RI in 2022, all prospective volunteers must watch the 2022 Volunteer Orientation Video, and complete the Hope's Harvest RI 2022 Volunteer Orientation Post Quiz. By signing/checking the box for this agreement I agree that I have watched the video and completed the quiz.
- Before the gleaning trip I will:
• Monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 - see details below
• Acquire a clean, well fitting personal mask, either surgical, kn95 or n95, that fully covers nose and mouth to have available if needed. If you don’t have access to a mask, one will be provided.
• Thoroughly wash hands with soap for at least 20 seconds prior to gleaning using our hand washing station
- I will not attend a gleaning trip with HHRI if:
• I exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 (sore throat, running nose, cough, difficulty breathing, loss of taste/smell, or fever)
• I have tested positive for COVID-19 on a rapid antigen or PCR test within the previous 10 days
• I have been in close contact (within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes in a 24-hour period) with an individual who is exhibiting symptoms of or has tested positive for COVID-19 (unless fully vaccinated with all courses of the vaccine plus up to date on CDC recommended boosters, in which case I can attend as long as I remain masked during the trip).
- If I experience any of the above symptoms of COVID-19 while in attendance on a gleaning trip, I will immediately notify the staff trip leader on duty, and I will accept all directions from staff to mitigate any safety risks.
- If I attended a gleaning trip and have started showing symptoms or tested positive for COVID-19 within 10 days of my volunteering with HHRI, I will notify the staff so any people possibly affected by this can be informed in a timely manner.
- I understand that monitoring my symptoms and exposures closely and responsibly is an important way to stop the spread of COVID-19 and is a necessary requirement to attend gleans in 2022.
- If I have engaged in activities with large groups of unmasked individuals (i.e. traveling on public transit, attending concerts, sports games, conferences, or large social gatherings, etc.) within the last 10 days, I will wear a clean, well fitting personal mask (either surgical, KN95 or N95) when attending gleaning trips.
- While on outdoor gleaning trips I will:
• Have a clean, well fitting personal mask (either surgical, KN95 or N95) on my person and available at all times, even if I am not wearing it, in case our farm or agency partners request extra precautions.
• Observe 3-foot social distancing during all phases of the trip and follow specified work flows that help to enforce the 3-feet distance.
• Wash my hands before, after, and during gleaning trips, and after eating, drinking, going to the restroom, or touching my face.
• Practice universal infection control precautions such as avoiding touching of the eyes, nose, or mouth while gleaning.
• Not enter Hope’s Harvest vehicles unless masked and explicitly invited to do so by a Hope’s Harvest staff member.
- I agree to wear a clean, well fitting personal mask (either surgical, KN95 or N95) under the following circumstances:
• During any indoor activities (sorting, packing, etc.), regardless of vaccination status.
• If I am not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose my vaccination status.
• If I have been in close contact with a person exhibiting symptoms of or who has tested positive for COVID 19 within the previous 10 days, even if fully vaccinated (all courses of the vaccine plus up to date on CDC recommended boosters).
- I understand that I am welcome to wear a mask at any time based on my personal preference, informed by my personal level of risk.
- If I am not comfortable being on a trip with unmasked participants due to personal or medical reasons, I can make a request for a fully masked gleaning trip by contacting Shannon at [email protected] Other registrants would be informed that the trip is mask-required and your identity/reasons for choosing to remain masked will not be disclosed.
- I understand that Hope’s Harvest RI and its staff members reserve the right to strengthen our masking policies and safety precautions during COVID 19 surges to create a safer environment for our employees, volunteers, agency recipients, and farmers.
- Hope’s Harvest reserves the right to deny entry to a gleaning trip and may require volunteers to leave any gleaning trip, or remove volunteers from the registration list if they do not agree to and/or comply with these COVID protocols. Hope’s Harvest staff reserves the right to ask any relevant questions regarding health and hygiene to protect the safety of our staff and participants in the course of a gleaning trip.
- Should any of my answers in this agreement change between now and the gleaning trip I am registering for, I agree to communicate this to the trip leader, cancel my registration if required, and refrain from engaging in gleaning activities until cleared by an HHRI staff member.
By checking the appropriate box on my registration and gleaning trip signup forms, I agree that I have read and understand this 2022 COVID 19 Volunteer Agreement in its entirety.
This Media Release Form (the “Release”) is entered into by and between (the “Participant” or “I”) and Hope’s Harvest RI on the date of acceptance.
Participant grants to Hope’s Harvest RI all rights necessary to enable Hope’s Harvest RI to use, reproduce, assign, and/or distribute, in all forms and in any media, Participant’s name, image, and/or photograph or video, and any such items related to the gleaning project (the "Trips"), for promotion and/or education purposes. Participant understands that such information about the Trips may appear in public media and that Participant will not be compensated for any materials and subsequent publication.
Participant understands that this Release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of the State of Rhode Island, and Participant agrees that if any portion is held invalid, the remainder will continue in full legal force and effect. Participant further agrees that the venue for any legal proceedings shall be in the State of Rhode Island. Further, this Agreement constitutes the final, exclusive agreement between the Parties regarding Media Release. If Participant is under the age of 18, clicking “Yes” indicates that parent or guardian also commits the participant to the conditions of this Agreement.
I HAVE READ THE MEDIA RELEASE FORM IN ITS ENTIRETY AND UNDERSTAND THE TERMS AND LEGAL SIGNIFICANCE. This Release is freely and voluntarily given with the understanding that right to legal recourse is knowingly given up in return for allowing my participation in the Trips.
Assumption of Risk & Release of Liability
This Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability Form (the “Agreement”) is entered into by and between (the “Participant” or “I”) and Hope’s Harvest RI on the date of acceptance. I hereby give my consent and agree to take part in the gleaning project (the “Trips”). In consideration of my participation, I understand that I am fully responsible for any injuries which may incur during these events.
I understand that participation in the Trips involves farm work and/or backyard harvesting work which includes physical labor and, among other things, may include exposure to the elements, farm and harvesting tools, biological elements and agricultural chemicals. Participant understands that such participation presents a risk of injury, and I agree to assume any and all risk for injuries arising out of, or related to, participation in the Trips and understand that Hope’s Harvest RI, its fiscal sponsor (Farm Fresh Rhode Island), and their employees, directors, volunteers, and community partners (E.g. farmers) “Released Parties” shall NOT be responsible or liable for any injury, damage, loss or expense to me and/or my property incurred as a result of my participation in the Trips.
Participant may or may not have had previous participation experience in the Trips. I understand that participation in the Trips may involve certain risks, including but not limited to personal and/or bodily injury, mental and/or emotional damage, or other injury, as well as damage to personal property. I agree that I have no physical or emotional conditions that may prevent me from fully participating in the event. I understand and agree that the Released Parties cannot be expected to control all possible risks but may need to respond to accidents and potential emergency situations. Therefore, Participant hereby gives consent for any medical treatment that may be required during my attendance with the understanding that the cost of any such treatment will be my responsibility.
Participant understands that this Agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of the State of Rhode Island, and Participant agrees that if any portion is held invalid, the remainder will continue in full legal force and effect. Participant further agrees that the venue for any legal proceedings shall be in the State of Rhode Island. Further, this Agreement constitutes the final, exclusive agreement between the Parties regarding Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability. If Participant is under the age of 18, clicking “Yes” indicates that the parent or guardian has read, understood, and also commits the participant to the conditions of this Agreement.
I HAVE READ THE ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY FORM IN ITS ENTIRETY AND UNDERSTAND THE TERMS AND LEGAL SIGNIFICANCE.This waiver is freely and voluntarily given with the understanding that right to legal recourse is knowingly given up in return for allowing my participation in the Trips.
Complete the Registration Form below (make sure to scroll down and click "Submit.") Please note: if you have already completed this form in the past, you do NOT need to complete all of the fields — only your first name, last name, email address, and checkboxes for waivers/agreements are required. If any of your information has changed, entering it here will update your contact in our system.
Only volunteers who have completed this process will be able to sign up for gleaning trips this season. Feel free to contact us at [email protected] with questions. Hope to see you in the fields!
Make a difference in your community by picking fresh fruits and vegetables for your neighbors in need. Gleaning volunteers register, sign waivers, and are then notified of upcoming gleaning trips to sign up. LEARN MORE →
Since 2021, Hope’s Harvest has had the privilege of partnering with farmer Charlotte Uwimpuhwe. Over the past two seasons, Charlotte and her crew have grown nearly 22,000 pounds (over 10 … Read More →