Don’t miss these items in local food and agriculture news from around our region:
FOOD SOLUTIONS NEW ENGLAND
Are you involved in some aspect of the New England regional food system? Are you eager to deepen your network leadership skills and expertise? If you answered yes to these questions, consider applying to be part of the next Food Solutions New England (FSNE) Network Leadership Institute!
The Institute can help you to:
- Increase your understanding of how to participate in the FSNE network to get your own work done more effectively.
- Gain valuable skills in facilitative leadership, network leadership and development, and stakeholder engagement.
- Deepen your knowledge of our dynamic and emerging food system in New England.
- Understand our regional strategy for advancing the New England Food Vision and leveraging it for food system momentum.
- Connect with a cohort of existing and emerging food system leaders from across the FSNE network.
- Be a more active participant in the creation of a just, equitable food system across New England.
“Thank you for giving us a space to share and deepen our knowledge base and skill ability with like-minded people interested in doing the same.” — 2017 participant
If these are true for you, please consider applying!
- You are active in food system efforts locally and/or regionally.
- You are committed to FSNE’s values.
- You are eager to contribute to the FSNE network.
- You live and work in New England.
The application deadline is May 15, 2018.
Learn more and apply.
Do you know about FSNE’s New England Food Vision? The Vision is a collaborative report that considers the future of our region: a future in which food nourishes a social, economic, and environmental landscape that supports a high quality of life for everyone, including generations to come. Explore the vision.
RHODE ISLAND HEALTHY SCHOOLS COALITION
Celebrate another year of school wellness achievements, mingle with community & school partners, and support RI Healthy Schools Coalition (RIHSC) mission and programs at its very first fundraiser.
The RIHSC is a small (but mighty) nonprofit, and could use your support. Tickets are $40 and include plenty of hors d’oeuvres plus a free beer, wine, or sangria! A full cash bar is also available. Bring a friend!
Thursday, June 28, 5–8pm
Eleven 49 Restaurant, Terrace Room
1149 Division St, East Greenwich
SOUTHSIDE COMMUNITY LAND TRUST
Saturday and Sunday, May 19 and 20! Come kick off the gardening season with Southside Community Land Trust (SCLT) next weekend at City Farm! Take home lovingly grown plant starts — including varieties you won’t find elsewhere — lush perennials, rich compost, and more. SCLT will have roughly 20,000 plants ready for you to put directly into your garden at the May 19–20 Plant Sale. Choose from 60 (!) varieties of juicy tomatoes, get advice from experienced organic gardeners and farmers, and enjoy live music from favorite local bands all weekend long.
Join or renew your SCLT membership now so you can also take advantage of these benefits:
- Members-only early entry to the Sale (9am on Saturday)/li>
- 10% discount on all plant purchases/li>
- Up to 50 gallons of organic compost /li>
- Discounts at local retailers
Reminders: If you join/renew after May 10, please bring a printed receipt as there’s no guarantee you’ll receive your membership card in the mail before the 19th. You can also become a member at the Sale, preferably paying by cash or check (no fees!), but — gladly accepts credit cards. — also welcome customers using SNAP dollars, who receive 40% more on purchases with Bonus Bucks!
Seeking native, rare and unusual perennials: If you’ve got perennials to donate to the Sale, SCLT has pots and soil to help make the transplanting easy (pick them up anytime at City Farm). Potted perennials can be dropped off between now and May 16. Please also pick up popsicle sticks, which SCLT uses to label each plant with the plant’s name, height, bloom color and month, and light needs. Gardeners: thank you very much for your efforts and generosity!
Interested in volunteering at the Sale? SCLT loves its volunteers and guarantees you’ll have fun working with SCLT staff, board members, and supporters that weekend. If you’re able to volunteer, please contact Agnieszka@southsideclt.org or call 401-273-9419 (ext. 100) for details.