This year we are transitioning our Harvest of the Month program to have a seasonal focus, rather than monthly — giving food service providers more flexibility in sourcing Rhode-Island-grown fruits and veggies in their cafeterias. Let’s celebrate summer’s harvest!
Spring is here, awakening possibilities for the new incoming harvest! Winter staples like carrots, parsnips, and potatoes continue to be available from storage. Asparagus starts to sprout up, signaling the beginning of the growing season. In springtime, we have delicious herbs like chives, parsley, and lavender ready to season our dishes. Fresh garlic becomes available, and onions are still stored up for use. Leafy greens, ranging from our mild lettuces to spicy arugula, and including fan favorites such as kale, collards, and spinach, add color to our diets. Fiddleheads grace our plates, and maple syrup is in season, dripping from tree to tongue with a few short steps in between.
Mac and Trees
Dark green vegetable, WGR grain, and meat alternate requirements
50 servings (1 cup)
2 lb 8 oz Broccoli
2 lb 10 oz whole-wheat macaroni
5 lb 4 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 gal + 1 qt milk
12 oz salted butter
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp + 1 tsp salt, divided
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp ground mustard seed
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 gal water
- Preheat convection oven to 325°F or conventional oven to 350°F.
- Trim broccoli and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Bring water and 5 tsp salt to a boil in a large stockpot. Cook pasta for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook until the pasta is slightly underdone, about 2 minutes more. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Warm milk in a large pot over low heat.
- Whisk together flour, the remaining 5 tsp salt, mustard, paprika, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over low heat. Increase heat to medium. Whisk in the flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Do not brown. Slowly whisk the warm milk into the flour mixture, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, Cheddar and Parmesan cheese. Cook, stirring, until the cheeses are melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and broccoli and stir to combine. Divide between two 4-inch full hotel pans. Spray underside of sheets of foil with cooking spray and tightly cover the pans.
- Bake in a convection oven for 25 minutes or conventional oven for 30 minutes.
About this Recipe
We share recipes created by reputable sources and designed specifically for institutional use.
This recipe is from New School Cuisine: Nutritious and Seasonal Recipes for School Cooks by School Cooks