What is an AmeriCorps VISTA member?
AmeriCorps VISTA members serve full time (~40 hours/week) for one full year at a community organization (nonprofit, college/university, local government office, etc.) on anti-poverty projects. AmeriCorps VISTA members work on projects that build the capacity of their organization. Projects can vary and are not limited to: developing outreach and marketing campaigns, building a social media presence, creating a program database, writing grants, managing a program in its first year, and recruiting volunteers.
What are the benefits?
AmeriCorps VISTA members will receive a biweekly living allowance, and upon successfully completing a year of service can opt to receive an education award (~$6,000) that can be used towards qualified school loans and specific educational expenses or an end-of-service cash stipend ($1,800). Also, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive one year of Federal Non-Competitive hiring eligibility, which provides advantages in the federal hiring process.
What are the requirements?
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit).
- Pass a national service criminal history check.
- Hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens and persons residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status, or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status.
For more information, visit the AmeriCorps website.
What are the opportunities at Farm Fresh RI?
Youth Culinary Education AmeriCorps VISTA – Support youth through Farm Fresh RI’s culinary and job-readiness training program. As our Youth Culinary Education VISTA, you will offer tools for trainees to maintain meaningful employment beyond their time with Harvest Kitchen.
Farm to Family Nutrition Education Summer AmeriCorps VISTA – Improve the health and wellbeing of low-income families across Rhode Island. As our Farm to Family Nutrition Education Summer VISTA, you will provide nutrition and life-skills education at summertime farmers markets.
Nutrition Education Fruitful Data Systems AmeriCorps VISTA – Change the food landscape in RI by identifying key farm to school stakeholders and advocates. As our Nutrition Education Fruitful Data Systems VISTA, you will digest data into development strategies.
Volunteer Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA – Help Farm Fresh RI achieve its mission of farm vitality and food security. As our Volunteer Coordinator VISTA, you will increase community engagement through volunteer recruitment, management, and retention to support our programs.
Wholesale Access AmeriCorps VISTA – Increase Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s wholesale market for EBT users, senior citizens, and other marginalized community members. As our Wholesale Access VISTA, you will connect more RI eaters with local food.
Farmers Market Food Security AmeriCorps VISTA – Increase awareness and understanding of how to use USDA food assistance programs to support local agriculture and food businesses. As our Farmers Food Security VISTA, you will create healthier, more resilient communities.
Farmers Market Summer AmeriCorps VISTA – Increase awareness of how to use USDA food assistance programs to support local agriculture. As our Farmers Market Summer VISTA, you will work toward creating healthier, more resilient communities.
How do I apply?
- Please review the information about becoming an AmeriCorps VISTA member.
- Next, go to the My AmeriCorps portal and click “Search Listings.”
- For the search, select the “Rhode Island” and “AmeriCorps VISTA” options. Scroll until you find this position, click on it, and choose “Apply Now.”
- Submit your application including two (2) references. Note: Applications must be submitted through this AmeriCorps VISTA process; Farm Fresh Rhode Island cannot accept applications directly.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.