We are looking for an AmeriCorps VISTA member to join our team!
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA members serve full time (~40 hours/week) for one full year at a community organization (nonprofit, college/university, local government office, etc.) on anti-poverty projects. AmeriCorps VISTA members work on projects that build the capacity of their organization. Projects can vary and are not limited to: developing outreach and marketing campaigns, building a social media presence, creating a program database, writing grants, managing a program in its first year, and recruiting volunteers.
What are the benefits? AmeriCorps VISTA members will receive a biweekly living allowance, and members who successfully complete a year of service can opt to receive an education award ($5,815) that can be used toward qualified school loans and specific educational expenses or an end-of-service cash stipend ($1,500). Also, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive one year of Federal Non-Competitive hiring eligibility, which provides advantages in the federal hiring process.
What are the requirements?
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit).
- Pass a national service criminal history check.
- Hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens and persons residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status, or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status.
What is the current opportunity at Farm Fresh RI?
Volunteer Coordinator VISTA. Help Farm Fresh RI develop and implement a new community engagement strategy through the use of a volunteer coordination plan. This plan will include the recruitment, training, management, thanking, and retention of the community volunteers that help Farm Fresh RI achieve our mission. This position will execute activities to support the following goals:
- Evaluate Farm Fresh RI’s current volunteer recruitment, training, and retention activities.
- Research best practices for volunteer recruitment, training, tracking, thanking, and retention activities.
- Continue to expand and develop the plan of combining the two above to improve Farm Fresh RI’s capacity to serve people in poverty.
- Develop and implement a sustainable system to track and thank volunteers.
- Train staff and fellow AmeriCorps VISTA members on the plan’s use.
How do I apply?
We’re so grateful for the AmeriCorps VISTA members who serve with us (such as Ashley, Tyler, Rachel, and Taylor shown above!). They’re an integral part of our work and our team here at Farm Fresh Rhode Island. We are excited to welcome new VISTA members to our team and hope you will be one of them!